What is whiplash?
Whiplash is a soft tissue injury in the neck muscles due to rapid acceleration, deceleration, or even jarring from sudden movements, such as a rear-end collision. The resulting muscle strain causes pain and stiffness in the neck, leading to headaches and dizziness. The underlying problem with these injuries is poor blood circulation in the vertebrae and muscle spasms, which ultimately leads to inflammation and pain.
Chiropractic care is the best treatment for whiplash as it focuses on alleviating the pain by restoring balance to the neck’s nerves, muscles, and tissues. It offers an alternative way to relieve pain without medical prescriptions or surgeries.
At Chiro Boynton Chiropractic Care Clinic, we use various chiropractic techniques to help our patients recover from whiplash. Book an appointment with our chiropractors at Boynton Beach, FL, today to guide you through your journey to recovery.
In this blog, we will enlighten you on various whiplash causes, symptoms, and treatments. Keep reading.
Common Causes of Whiplash
- Auto accidents: The most common cause of whiplash is automobile accidents, which account for 70 percent of all cases. The severity of the injury depends on how fast your head moves and how far it goes beyond its normal range of motion. During this movement, your head’s ligaments stretch beyond their normal capacity and then snap back to their original position, causing inflammation. It’s usually worse in rear-end collisions than side crashes because the impact force goes directly up and down your spine.
- Falls: Falling from a height may also lead to whiplash, especially if you land on your head or neck.
- Contact sports: Playing contact sports such as football or hockey may increase your risk of whiplash since they require fast movements that may stress your body’s joints.
- Slips and falls on stairs: These account for almost 3 percent to 5 percent of all whiplashes
Whiplash symptoms typically develop over time rather than immediately after the accident. The severity of whiplash symptoms varies from person to person, with some experiencing no pain and others having constant pain for months. Here are the common whiplash symptoms.
- Pain in the neck, back, shoulders or arms.
- Headaches, dizziness, and nausea.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Fatigue and weakness.
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering things.
A few weeks after the initial injury, most people will recover fully from their whiplash symptoms. However, some people develop long-lasting or recurrent problems that may require additional treatment to relieve their pain and improve their function.
Long-term complications of whiplash include pain and ecchymosis.
Whiplash Chiropractic Care in Boynton Beach, FL
At Chiro Boynton Chiropractic Care Clinic, we provide whiplash chiropractic care to our patients in Boynton Beach, FL, and surrounding regions. Our goal is to help you obtain optimal health and wellness through chiropractic adjustments and other treatments.
We invite you to learn more about our practice through an appointment with our chiropractor or talk to us today via (561) 223-8266. We will be glad to help.